Baseball Almanac is pleased to report that we do have the box score you selected in our inventory. Please carefully read the following instructions on this page to obtain your box score.
"The box score is the catechism of baseball, ready to surrender its truth to the knowing eye." - Stanley Cohen in The Man in the Crowd (1981)
Example (on left):
Scan of an old "fair"
condition box score.
Please read below for
Box score conditions
will vary from mint to
poor. Every effort to
send the best possible
copy will be done.
Baseball Almanac is pleased to let you know that the box score you have requested is in our inventory.
To receive a copy of the box score you MUST complete the following items:
1. Send a letter to the address below. Inside your letter you MUST include an envelope with your complete address and first class postage already affixed. If you are ordering more than 10 box scores, email me for postage options.
8263 SW 107 Avenue, Apt A
Miami, FL 33173
2. Print out and include the team schedule in the envelope . Highlight or clearly mark the game(s) you need. If you do not have a printer, please write a note with the same line of details found in our schedules. This will ensure your order is filled accurately.
3. EACH box score costs $10.00. So if you want a doubleheader, a single game played one year later, and a game from a totally different team your total due would by $40.00.
3a. Box scores were once free. This changed because people were not willing to send any type of donation - even though they are requesting that I locate the data, photocopy the data at a local store, then mail the data.
Baseball Almanac could not stay online without donations, so if you are able to send money above and beyond the newly required fee - PLEASE DO!
4. Restrictions: No more than 10 box score requests per envelope and no fees will be returned due to box score condition. If our database was wrong and we do not have the box score you need in a decipherable format, your entire package (including the fee) will be returned in your self-addressed stamped envelope. The "key" here is decipherable format, if we can't read it / figure it out - we won't send it and your money will be returned in full.
4a. Though this "request for box score service" has only been in operation since April 2002, we have delivered more than 5,000 box scores to more than 3,000 different people and not one box score has ever been returned.
5. Bulk Orders: If you need more than 10 box scores please visit the Contact menu at the top of any screen and thoroughly advise us about your research needs. Recent custom orders have included:
6. PayPal Orders. If you want to receive a digital box score (.jpg) this too is possible and usually the box score will be in your possession the same day. You must pay via PayPa l, indicate clearly the box you want in your payment note and a high-resolution scan of the box will be sent upon receipt. The email for payment via PayPal is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sean Holtz, Webmaster
"Where what happened yesterday is being preserved today."
The box score you receive might be from The Sporting News , The New York Times , a red or green book, or even a digitally reproduced version.
Writer / author Earl Wilson once wrote, "My idea of courage is the guy who has $500,000 tied up in the stock market and turns to the box scores first!"
Did you know that the box score was "invented" by Henry Chadwick and first appeared in print in an 1863 issue of the New York Clipper?