During the late 1950s August A. Busch Jr. decided that if the St. Louis Cardinals were going to prosper and attract the fans necessary to support a Major League franchise, it would have to move out of the Grand Avenue Busch Stadium and into a new ballpark.
A new stadium in downtown St. Louis provided a much needed redevelopment of the downtown area and in 1964, ground was broken. On May 12, 1966, Busch Stadium officially opened as the new home of the St. Louis Cardinals and the home plate from Busch Stadium (Grand Avenue location) was used & brought over for the first game ceremony. In a 12-inning inaugural, the Cardinals defeated the Atlanta Braves, 4-3.
Busch Stadium is basically a two-deck all-concrete facility with approximately half its seats in each deck. The seats completely surround the playing field without posts or columns to obstruct fans' views. The nearly circular structure has an outside diameter of more than eight-hundred feet, covers more than twelve acres and is one-hundred thirty feet tall, measured from the playing field to the top of the stadium.
"That tarp (at Busch Stadium which rolled over his left knee causing a bone chip and bruises) was a real man eater." - Vince Coleman in the 1985 National League Championship Series
Major League Occupant(s)
Ballpark Capacity & Seating Chart
Ballpark Diagram & Dimensions
Miscellaneous Items of Interest
The architects who designed Busch Stadium were Sverdrup & Parcel and Associates; Edward Durell Stone (design collaborator); and Schwarz & Van Hoefen, Associated.
Sportsman's Park (1920-1952) was renamed Busch Stadium — which often causes some historical confusion — in 1953 after Anheuser-Busch purchased the club in 1953. Here is a stadium breakdown for the St. Louis Cardinals:
|Grand Avenue Grounds||1876 - 1877|
|Union Park||1885 - 1886, 1892 - 1897|
|Robison Field||1899 - 1920|
|Sportsman's Park||1920 - 1952|
|Busch Stadium (Grand Avenue)||1953 - 1966|
|Busch Stadium (Stadium Plaza)||1966 - 2005|
|Busch Stadium (II)||2006 -|
Busch Stadium items of interest: Just below the roof there are ninety-six open arches. A statue of Stan "The Man" Musial was unveiled outside the ballpark in 1968. Every single seat in the stadium was painted red in 1987. A manually operated / traditional scoreboard measuring 17' high x 270' wide was built in centerfield in 1997 (the visitors bullpen was moved to right field).